Sunday, October 5, 2008

why bikes are safer than cabs

So, this story isn't directly related to biking- but it is just one more example of why sometimes it is safer to just bike home than rely on four-wheeled transportation. Last night I went to a wedding with a friend; it was black-tie, over 200 guests, and had the biggest bar I've ever seen at a reception. We partied until the bride and groom left and then headed to Moe's Crosstown for some much needed french fries. After walking back to my friends house I realized that I was on the totally wrong side of town and had to get home to walk my dog. So I hailed the good-ole "____" Cab for a ride home (I dont want to get anyone in any trouble) . When my ride pulled up, I actually laughed out loud. It was a complete beater 80s station wagon with one headlight and the cabbie hanging out the window rapping to me. Awesome. So I hopped in and the first thing the guy says is "Yo girl, sorry I'm late, my car keeps cutting off... damn you looking good, where you been tonite?" I replied with: "Umm. Thanks? But seriously, you are really giving me a lot of confidence in my ride home". And that was how our journey began. I started asking him questions about his alternator and battery and then programmed my awesome mechanics number into his phone. The whole time we are driving the car is revving really high RPMs, the gas gauge is doing backflips, and the radio is cutting in and out (which he had switched to a station he referred to as "white people music").

When my house came into view I felt so much relief, but it was too soon for celebration. When we pulled into the driveway he realized he had no change, so we had to go a gas station. The first two were closed and next thing I know we are on roadtrip through West Ashley. During this whole thing I realize he is from my hometown and he went to one of the my rival highschools about five years ahead of me. Ahh- small world. When we finally found a station that was open, he gets out of the car and I realize that the this whole time he has had a Miller High Life 40 oz. between his legs. haha. (nervous laugher here) I mean what are you suppose to do at this point? He had been driving really well and I felt safer in his cab that alone at the creepy gas station full of guys cat-calling me. So he put some gas in the car, gave me my change and we headed home. The car wouldn't go over 30mph at this point, so we just cruised through neighborhoods all the way back to my place. When we pulled into my driveway, he actually said: "Hey- tell all your friends to call me if they ever need a cab!" Hahahaah. Really? This was his idea of a good impression and an experience that would leave a girl raving about the service?

So next time you want to ask me: "Nikki, do you think its safe to bike in Charleston? Don't you ever get scared?" Just know that I feel much safer on my bike, than with a drunk cab driver in a POS car. The key is staying off the roads late at night when drunk cabbies are on the loose and always wearing a helmet, just in case.

No comments: